Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Brick fun

Coco has really been getting into LEGO lately. And when I say LEGO, I will make my friend Katie cringe, because I mean pretty much any brick that will fit onto another brick. Sure, a vast majority of our blocks are LEGO, but there are Mega Blocks and K-reo mixed in too (especially with that K-reo deal last week where I got an Optimus Prime building set FREE, wootwoot!).


At almost 5, his creations are pretty much limited to either really short, easy directions for things (like the LEGO Harry Potter mini set we got him after Christmas for $2.50) or his own creations - which usually are blobs, but I love to hear him describe what everything is and what it's used for.

Even Mabel gets in on the action - her daddy bought her the first of what I am sure will be MANY LEGO Friends sets. The child is only 3, so of course Mommy ended up putting that one together for her to pull apart and ask to be put back together. I guess she'll get it eventually.

LEGO is great for the imagination. Kind of like Play Dough but with corners. We are in no way, shape or form LEGO experts (like this guy), but it's still fun to pretend we are. The greatest thing about LEGO (aside from all the other cool stuff about LEGO) is that they do that free LEGO Club magazine. Coco has a subscription. Every month, he sits with his magazine, thumbing through it for ideas, and even asking if we can submit pictures to the My Own Creations section. Usually, the magazine comes with a comic book - another obsession of the kid. And it's all totally free, something you can't say often about LEGOs.

We got his first LEGOs from Goodwill - I spent all of $2 for about 500 random blocks. Then I got another set of around 300 (mostly Mega Blocks, sorry Katie) at a consignment store for around $3. Our initial investment was all of $5. If you are a fan of LEGO, you know that's CHEAP (practically FREE in LEGO terms)
- but have no fear, we've spent plenty of money since then on various sets. Pretty soon, we'll probably take him up to the LEGO store at the mall and let him pick out some stuff. His birthday is coming up after all.
Coco modeling his LEGO Batman PJs in a self-portrait

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before they are published. Please be respectful of one another, or I just won't publish it. ;)